"Look At Me"

"Look At Me"
monotype and screenprint

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Derek's Autism Journey: Year 1 of Progress (the video)



Derek was first recognized as showing enough symptoms of autism to "qualify for early intervention" on July 15, 2009. (He was officially diagnosed in December.) That hot July day was the day my world shattered. I had watched my son disappear. I had known for many months that he was autistic. I needed no formal diagnosis. Suddenly all the dreams I had for my son went out the window. All the plans I had for my own future were put on hold indefinitely. Everything revolved around Derek.

The video above is the short and sweet version of the nightmare I went through that first year. I made the video to commemorate Derek's 1st year of progress, and to remind myself years down the road just how far my son has come.

1 comment:

  1. This video makes me cry every time I watch it. I remember when you posted it on facebook and I made the mistake of watching it with the music on, while pregnant. Awful idea! You guys have been through sooo much. You are such a strong Momma. I'm not sure I could endure what you have. Stay strong lady! Let me know if there is anything, EVER, that I can do. I LOVE that you made a blog. AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete