"Look At Me"

"Look At Me"
monotype and screenprint

Monday, April 1, 2013

Between Brothers

"But Derek doesn't PLAY!" Tyler yelled. Then he ran to his room.

This was on Friday. I had just told Tyler to put the Ipad away and do something else--like read a book, paint a picture, or play with his brother. 

"He tries." I whispered to myself.

When I was a kid, my sister and I did everything together. We went sledding. We climbed trees. We went to the park. We jumped rope. We played hide-and-seek. My sister was my best friend. I wonder often if my boys will ever be as close as we were.

Then, once in a while, tiny miracles happen to reassure me.

Derek and I were playing outside today. Tyler had gone inside to get something, but the window was open. He came up to the window and yelled to us, "I love you!"


Derek yelled back, "Uv oo Ty-er!" (Love you Tyler)
Then he reached his arms up and gave the air a hug.

Tyler came to the door and asked me, "Did he?"
I said, "Yes. He told you he loved you." (He's never done that before.)

Tyler smiled from ear to ear.
My son has been waiting 5 years to hear those words.
It was worth the wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment