"Look At Me"

"Look At Me"
monotype and screenprint

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

"Brothers: The Unspoken Bond"


monoprint (mixed media) March 2011

Autism has affected my oldest son more than anyone else in our family. I wanted to include him in this next piece. He has had to deal with so much more than most kids his age. First, he watched his mom literally fall apart. Then he had to deal with his own feelings of jealousy, anger, and frustration towards his brother. Tyler wants so much for Derek to be able to talk to him and play with him, and he asks me about it all the time. He doesn't understand why his brother is different. I wish Tyler could see how much Derek loves him, and how much he has helped Derek. I pray that I am raising Tyler right, and that having a younger brother with a disability will make him a compassionate, caring young man...rather than a resentful, bitter one.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure he will become a compassionate adult. Like everyone else he's still adjusting.

    I remember when Ruzenka asked me why Brett wasn't talking. I tried to be as honest as I could. I told her she wasn't talking at his age either. And that eventually he would talk more. He just needs time. There was a time I never thought that conversation would ever occur.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am honest with Tyler. He knows why there are therapists in and out of our house all day. Derek is 3 1/2 now. He speaks about as much as an average 1 year old? Less if we are in public or if strangers are present. But Derek is smart, and I hope that someday I'll look back at these days and smile... :)

    ReplyDelete