"Look At Me"

"Look At Me"
monotype and screenprint

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Rattlesnakes, Rainbows, and Other Ramblings

Last weekend we went to the lake for vacation.

Only, as some of you know, autism never really goes on vacation.

So, the trip was fun, and parts of it were relaxing (sort of), but I would never compare it to a vacation to say...the Bahamas (without kids, of course).  Ohh, what I wouldn't do to be able to doze on the beach with a cocktail in hand and not have to worry about the kids drowning or rattlesnakes...

Yes, I said rattlesnakes.

Rattlesnake

We got to Lake McConaughy on Thursday afternoon.  We stay at a house just a short ATV drive away from the beach while we are there.  So we unloaded some supplies and our suitcases and headed straight down to the beach.  Immediately, the people that were camped next to us said they had to show us something.  So we sauntered over.  And sitting directly on top of a grill was a beheaded rattlesnake. My stomach flipped. Evidently it had been hiding underneath some of their supplies and when they went to get something, they heard the tail rattle and barely escaped a bite from a venomous snake. *shudder*

I am not ashamed to admit that I was on the look out for snakes for the rest of the weekend.
Right side of the rainbow.

The next day was not overly eventful.  Except there was a storm or two.  And Derek freaked out and looked everywhere for the "crazy tornado" that did not exist. (He's slightly obsessed with weather at the moment.)  

But we saw a rainbow, so that was cool.  We also saw some toads, butterflies, sea gulls, and dragonflies. 

(Thankfully, we didn't see any more rattlesnakes.)
Left side of the rainbow.  (and Tyler)
Blue dragonfly
Autism came to the lake too. Both boys stimmed. Derek scripted. Tyler obsessively talked about superheroes. Both kids hated having sunscreen put on them. Tyler complained about the flies biting him. Derek ate a minimal amount of food (his usual Goldfish, pretzels, and dry cereal). Both kids slept terribly. Derek had a meltdown one day that resulted in a 3 hour nap (he was that overstimulated).

No big deal, right?
Toads hiding from the sun.


Except the moment we got home, I ended up with the stomach flu.  I was running to the toilet every 10 minutes for close to 24 hours.  So instead of being just tired, I was exhausted.  Actually, that doesn't even begin to describe it.  I had cleaning to do, kids to take care of, and I could barely crawl from the bathroom to my bed.  I let my kids play the iPad and watch tv and eat whatever they wanted ALL DAY LONG and I don't even care.  I was too sick to actually sleep (I doubt Derek would have let me anyhow--and even if he did, I can only imagine the damage he might have caused), and Derek laughed at me when he saw me vomit, but at least the three of us survived (somehow). I honestly think that the hardest part about being a parent is having to be a parent when you are ill.  

I'm better now.  School starts in a week and I'm doing everything in my power to get stuff done before school starts--hair cuts, doctor appointments, etc.  

What I really want to do is take a nap...

Next week, I suppose.  ;)

Tyler getting thrown into the air by his uncle.  Derek watching (and floating).

Derek finally got his campfire on the last day.

Derek sitting by himself on the boat.  Chilling.

My tow-head.
"I make fire!"



  

1 comment:

  1. I am conducting research on learning tools for children with Autism Spectrum Disorder with my student group at Northwestern University. If you are a parent of a child with Autism Spectrum Disorder, please help the research by taking the survey in the link below. If you complete the survey, you will be entered into a raffle for a chance to win a $30 Target gift card! The survey will only take 5-7 minutes!

    http://kellogg.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_3gi3ErY4KfSG65T&mbr=ly&blog2=1

    ReplyDelete