"Look At Me"

"Look At Me"
monotype and screenprint

Thursday, February 21, 2013

The Perfect Pity Party

"The best laid plans of mice and men often go astray..." 

--Robert Burns


I had big plans for the weekend.  BIG plans.  Unfortunately, Mother Nature decided to laugh at my plans and dump a foot of snow on my doorstep.  

About a month ago, I decided I actually wanted to do something for my birthday.  Since Tyler and I have birthdays so close together, I usually just throw him a big party and ignore the fact that I'm adding another candle to my birthday cake as well.  Once you reach a certain age, birthdays aren't that big of a deal anyway, right?  That's what I tell myself, anyway.



Plan A) This year a friend of mine was supposed to drive 3 hours to come visit me.  I had everything arranged.  I'd made a reservation at a hotel 30 minutes away that I'd wanted to go to for YEARS.  Why?  Because it has waterslides.  I figured the two of us could take the kids down the waterslides for a few hours and play until we were exhausted.  Then, when my husband got off work, he could take the kids home and I could actually have a girl's night out.  I was beyond excited--until it started snowing.  

Plan B)  THEN, when school was cancelled last night and I knew my friend was not going to make it, I tried to make back-up plans.  I called a few local friends to see if they'd be interested in coming over with their kids for dinner and drinks and movies and games.  Great plan, right?

Not only did we get bombarded with snow, but Derek woke up sick.  He has a fever and is coughing and congested.  Super.  Plan B is out too.

So what did I do to celebrate my birthday?  Simple.  I did a whole lot of nothing.  And it was INCREDIBLE.  I stayed in my pajamas all day long.  I snuggled with my boys and watched a movie.  Tyler and I finished reading Where the Red Fern Grows and started reading The Best Christmas Pageant Ever.  I helped Tyler put together his coin collection (he's collecting state quarters).  I made a lasagna.  I sat and watched the snow come down with Derek in my lap.  I played on the computer while my boys played on the Ipad.  Derek and I set up a huge train track.  
Derek studying the snowflakes.
And once again, I was reminded how important days like today are.  No, I didn't get to hang out with my friends.  But I got to relax and spend quality time with my boys--and maybe that's what I needed most.  Or maybe that's what THEY needed most?  Either way, my day was incredible.  
.  
It's STILL SNOWING...

If not for the snow, I wouldn't have heard Derek wish me a "Hippy Birdie."  Nor would I have received a drawing of a four-headed dragon from Tyler--with a note on it that said, "Happy berthday Mommy you are very speshall to me."  


Thank you Mother Nature for foiling my plans.  I owe you one...










2 comments:

  1. Unexpected change of plans are generally a peaceful reminder that we are not in charge. I am glad you had a good birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like the perfect day - happy birthday! <3

    ReplyDelete