"Look At Me"

"Look At Me"
monotype and screenprint

Monday, March 11, 2013

Angels Among Us?

Last night I watched the movie The Green Mile.

The boys were in the living room playing on the Ipad with their dad.  I actually had a few minutes of alone time in the bedroom.  

Then Tyler walked in--right at the part where John Coffey (just like the drink, only not spelled the same) brings the mouse (Mr. Jengles) back to life.

Tyler asked me how he'd done that.  I explained that John Coffey was like an angel.  He was one of God's people--sent to earth to help people.  He was a healer.

Tyler asked me if I'd ever met an angel.

I paused.  I said, "I'm not sure, but sometimes I think Derek is an angel."

He asked me, "Why?"

I said, "Well, Tyler, he's changed a lot of people's lives.  Especially mine.  He's made me a better person.  But more than that, he brings joy wherever he goes.  He communicates without words.  He randomly stops whatever he's doing to say "I love you."  He also inspires me and gives me hope, because he doesn't know how to hate.  And he never, ever gives up."

Tyler looked at me for a long, long moment.  Then he said, "I think so too.  He gives really good bear hugs."




1 comment: