"Look At Me"

"Look At Me"
monotype and screenprint

Monday, March 12, 2012

Wassup!!! Echolalia at it's finest.


A lot of Derek's speech these days is just a repetition of what he is heard--otherwise known as echolalia, or "parrot-talk."  Somehow, my train loving little boy found the train version of the old Budweiser commercial on Youtube.  He LOVES it and watches it over and over again.  He's even picking up the words.  He says, "wo" for "hello", "twoo" for "true" and "waddup" for "wassup."  He also babbles through the parts he can't repeat.  Best thing though?  He randomly says "wassup" when he is NOT watching the video. 

At first I was worried about his speech going from nothing to just echolalia.  But, I've been told that this is progress and that at least he is beginning to speak.  I guess most non-verbal autistic kids go through this?  

4 comments:

  1. My son did echolalia for years. Derek is one handsome guy!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trying to send you a link, but I think links may be blocked. I just wrote a blog about Echolalia, and my son. It is an amazing way to learn how to communicate. If you have a second to try and track it down, I think it might help, especially the links within that were written by people with ASC who learned to talk the same way as our sons. It definitely helped me to see the inside perspective! Good luck to you all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you post the link on my fb page? I'd love to read it. My fb page is under the same name--Autism Art Project. Thanks!!! I'll try to track it down too. :)

      Delete